it has been a longer absence again and I apologize. So hopefully something to make up for it.
I decided to take part in the monthly Character Design Challange (CDC in short) over at Facebook.
The theme this month was: AZTEC WARRIOR. And since I love animals so much, I decided to do a anthropomorphic lizard dude for this.
I followed a very streamlined process this time and waited until the very with painting freely. I think it paid out.
Most importantly thanks to Christian Retzlaff and Jan Drenovec for their feedback.
See the GIF below for the whole process.
So since I am working on a character-illustration, I realized my portrait-skills are lacking in certain areas. So it is back to studying:
After doing the first 2, I decided to change my approach. So instead of copying as close as possible, what the photo has to offer, I settled on 5 colors first. 2 for the shadow-side, 3 for the light-side.
Since I was asked, how I define the colors, here's a little explenation. The darkest color for the light-side is at the same time the most saturated (the midtone), it then gets lighter, more yellow and less saturation towards the highlights and redder/bluer and less saturated towards the darks. So the most saturation occurs in the area, where light and dark meet. This can go meta-physical here, but lets not ... :D
I then mapped out the shapes as close as I could. Especially the shadow-shape is something, that can be treated with a lot of care here. Even done a lot of edge-refinement pays off later.
After the initial lay-in, I continued with overpainting. In this phase I also add dark and light accents here and there. In the end I was surprised how straight-forward and easy this approach is and I am very happy with the result.
I tested this approach on another portrait and recorded the steps (below). Since it produces the same satisfying result, I can safely say, that this process is solid. I love to work like that and for the first time in a long time, studying is fun again.
Hope it helps you to crack colors and gives you some inspiration on how to approach your next project.
So after a lot of noodling and the result, that you can see below, I decided to do some studies.
The first is a portrait - sketch, following Chris Legaspi's youtube video, the second and third are something I haven't tried before. Instead of doing a seperate painting of a photo, I simply enlarged the composition and added elements to fill the empty spaces again. I did it to a level, where I was happy with the result, at the moment. I then used what I learned and applied it back into the painting.
So this is where I am at currently. I will work on it more and do some studies for the clothing and anatomy, that I am not understanding.
My take-away is this: doing themed studies to solve certain problems is way more helpful, than just copying some random image, because there is a schedule suggesting it, or someone else said you should do it.
I hope this helps you to solve your visual problems. :)
After doing some client work, I wanted to get back to my study-habit.
I worked on this for a couple of hours, felt like it takes way too long. And it didn't happen 'til the end, that I found out it makes sense to paint from dark to light, when adding those patches of forest on the mountain.
I like how the waves turned out and doing the drawing was quite fun as well.
I still need to find a good way, to portray the closer trees. Maybe using a foliage brush might help, but I am not to fond of those. They look very stiff and mechanic to me.
After doing a ton of work for Ulisses that I can't show, I wanted to do something for myself again.
So I joined the art-challange from the "Swatches" - facebook group. We are to paint a planeswalker - like illustration. The AD is Clint Cearley, who is a Magic The Gathering artist himself.
I couldn't let this opportunity go by unused. To have him look at my work is invaluable.
So here it goes.
Moodboard - Design and Pose Sketches - Value Sketches - Drawing
Next would be color - sketches and then rendering.
Deadline is 10 of July.
I did another spit-paint, which is a painting that is supposed to be done under 30min. It took me longer so I can't post it in the facebook-group or else I will be banned. So I just post it here. The topic was "goat bodyguard". I used 3 differente reference images for this.
I tried to stay lose and just suggest at the realism.
Hope you like it.
A digital figure painting, to get better at workflow and values.
Sorry, but I forgot where I found the ref.
This is my blog.
I will share information about workflow, my insights into image-making or just general thoughts and rants about being an artist.