These were illustrations for two different videos. In the first the topic is "How to write a discussion". The english-style is based on light outlines and colors that neither exceed 60% saturation nor fall below 30% value. So I kept it all fairly light. The pictures started out as pencil - drawings, which I refined and scanned. The rest of the work was getting the lines clean and coloring. What is funny to me is that the color makes the weapons look friendlier, almost like toys. Don't you want a plush Remington 870 for your kid? ;)
The second video is about the life of Einstein, his son and some sort of weird statue. I guess it should represent an important waypoint in his life or something.
Also today is my birthday, wooohooo! My co-workers gave me an awesome toned-paper-sketchbook and black and white chalk-penscils. I can't wait to try it out. Niels Walter, one of my co - workers drew a picture of me in the HEV - suit. Pretty kick - ass in my opinion.
This was done by Niels Walter, he is great.
for this study I first made a skull bust out of soft white plastic-clay (I don't really know what it is composed of, if you want to know, write me a pm and I try to look it up :)
Then I placed a candle next to it until I was satisfied with the composition.
I tried to work out the core shadow and have a warm / cold contrast going on. Since I painted both lightsources fairly equal in intensity they compete a bit.
What I learned:
- Occlusion shadows were important, to increase the reality of the picture
- I should focus my hard edges on the important parts
- the upper sketchbook really is not a black color, where the cool light from outside hits it. It is more of a really desaturated blue. Thanks to James Gurney for bringing that to my attention.
- the specularity on the lower sketchbook has a really hard edge, because it is super smooth
- the molten wax in the candle has an edge, below which it is a bit darker, while close the "wall" of the candle is a highlight
- the longer I take to work out shadows, the more likely they will be at another place, because the sun moves, so I have to be "fast"
I enjoyed it a lot, here is the picture.
This is the newest mock-up for the game I am working on. I worked on the interface, the cursors, the teeth and on the bacteria. I can't wait until it is deployed and ready to be played.
the last one was from imagination after looking at a photo-ref for 1 minute
This is my blog.
I will share information about workflow, my insights into image-making or just general thoughts and rants about being an artist.