So after a lot of noodling and the result, that you can see below, I decided to do some studies.
The first is a portrait - sketch, following Chris Legaspi's youtube video, the second and third are something I haven't tried before. Instead of doing a seperate painting of a photo, I simply enlarged the composition and added elements to fill the empty spaces again. I did it to a level, where I was happy with the result, at the moment. I then used what I learned and applied it back into the painting.
So this is where I am at currently. I will work on it more and do some studies for the clothing and anatomy, that I am not understanding.
My take-away is this: doing themed studies to solve certain problems is way more helpful, than just copying some random image, because there is a schedule suggesting it, or someone else said you should do it.
I hope this helps you to solve your visual problems. :)
This is my blog.
I will share information about workflow, my insights into image-making or just general thoughts and rants about being an artist.